I have been working in the computer industry for a good 20 years now. I have had a variety of jobs and worked at a few companies. I had the opportunity to have dinner with someone I worked with a few weeks ago and got put back into the loop with co-workers from a company that got rid of almost everyone with seniority. It was interesting to hear their stories and what they are doing now. I had the opportunity the other night to get together with another group from the same company for fantasy football. We have kept in touch over the year with get togethers and weddings but there is real value in all getting together in the same room and having a common goal.
Part of me wishes that I had this same relationship at my new job. I’m the new guy and haven’t got the history built up yet. I see the potential but it will be different. I’ve always found it difficult to keep work and friends separated. The other day I found out that my neighbor is now a customer. I really struggled with asking her and her team out to lunch. It seemed to cross too many boundaries and was wierd for both of us.
On my to do list for this week and next:
1) write at least five friends I haven’t talked to in over a month
2) write some good smack for both of my fantasy football leagues to build up some common ground with old and new friends
3) start a dialog with at least two new people at work
4) start a dialog with at least two customers to get to know them better
5) spend more time with my family this weekend.
Note that 5 is probably the most important but I try to do this every weekend. I include it on the list just to remind me even though it is a given…..